* LIFE *

A place to let go,coverse, chat, gossip,just being real because that is what LIFE is all about... Yeah yeahh just be Honest and speak your mind cause someone is listening or I should say "reading"

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A look back

Today I found myself thinking of the old days. What brought it up?
Well we had a training today on some new updates that should make our working life easier. So after that we sat together during lunch and was just talking and getting to know each other. Because we only new each other by phone and e-mail. It's kind of crazy when you don't communicate with people in real life. You always have a different image of what they really look like. Anyway every body was introducing themselves and saying a little bit about them. So my turn came and of course I went with the routine. After a while my Regional Manager was like

RM: "D" you have an accent which state are u from?
Me: umm Ohio? Actually am originally form Africa and been in the US for the past 6 years.
RM: No way. I could have never guessed. Really?
Me: (Politely smiling) Yes Susan.
Everybody joined asking a million different questions???? Now am like "Oh my God here we go again."
After I got home I was thinking to myself that it's funny but I have always had an accent since I can remember.
Because at home we always spoke two to three different languages growing up depending on which country we were at the time. ( Due to my Dad occupation)
But it downed on me today. When we were in East Africa people always referred to our family as foreigners because my Dad is from West Africa. Then we move back to my Dad original country our family always referred to us as being from East Africa. Of course from East to West change of dialect so I acquired few other accents. Because I learned 2 new languages in west Africa adding to already 3 local languages and French from East Africa. Making it a total of 6 languages. Since I didn't speak the other two often I completely forgot about them. When we move to the US I was trying so hard to learn English. ( serve me right because I never attended my English courses in High School. To make long story short:I had a dispute with my English Professor so he kicked me out his class. He let me back in at the end of the last semester so I can graduate. Like I said long story.)
Anyway So when I enroll in college here in the States now I was again a foreigner. Of course I acquire another accent. But this time I was determine to kill my accent. That is why most people can't really tell. I have to spend a lot time with people to find out about it.
I was just wondering what will be my next one. At least this time it will not be my Dads' decision because he has retired; so the next accent I acquire will be my own choice.
To recap I now speak a total 5 languages:
1 local from East Africa
2 local from West Africa
French
English
And guess what? I studied Arabic for 4 years when I was young because my Dad forced us to.
But I don't remember how to speak it. I can read the alphabet and numbers I can remember few words but I don't think I can translate a whole sentence.

Crazy huh?

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home